Hi Lovelies. As I watch friends all around me have their precious little bundles of joy, I thought it was time to discuss that awkward stage after you have a baby. You know the one where your clothes don’t fit exactly the way they did before? There is a way to make the best of your wardrobe and feel fashionable and comfortable. No, you don’t have to live in yoga pants. You totally can if you want to though. I’m not going to lie, I did it for a while. If you have to pull yourself together and get out of the house, here are my 5 fashion tips for postpartum to make your wardrobe work.
- Bottoms with stretch or an elastic waistband – This can include leggings, joggers, and a skirt. The skirt option is great for these warmer months. I love the stretchy tube skirts. You can also go with an a-line, pleated or flared skirt. These are all items that you may have in your wardrobe already. If not, they will be items that you can keep months after you have your little bundle of joy.
- Wrap dress – Another great piece for the postpartum bod. This can be tied as loose or as tight as you want. Also, it can make nursing pretty simple because it can pull down on one side to feed your little babe.
- Comfortable bra – Nursing or not this is a must. If you typically wear padding, you may want to dial down the padding because your chest will be sensitive. I was nursing and I picked up my bras from Target. On my second, they actually started selling the Bravado line. I definitely recommend waiting a couple days before you get a nursing bra. I waited and I was so happy I did. I was bigger than what they had recommended for sizing.
- Cardigans or loose fitting outerwear – I love this option, so I could dress up a nursing tank or nursing top. If you aren’t nursing, that’s okay. This will help hide the little belly that sticks around for a few weeks after labor.
- Baby friendly accessories – Now you can find baby friendly necklaces, bracelets and nursing scarves. Don’t give up on your style. Add pieces that go with your wardrobe that will be baby friendly. You have chewbeads, teething bling, InfinityMOM scarves or you can find several options on amazon.com. There are so many options on the web now. You can find fashionable jewelry that your baby can play with and also chew on as they grow. The scarf is perfect for nursing in public and can dress up your outfit.
Shop these tips:
Congratulations to all of those new moms, bringing blessings into this world. Being a mom is the greatest gift and I wish all you beautiful ladies the best. Enjoy every minute with your little one, they truly grow up too fast.
Oh to Be a Muse says
I can’t speak on this personally, but all five of those tips sound like a good idea. Great post!
Such great tips, lady. I need to pass this on to my girlfriend- she is due in a few weeks! 🙂
Le Stylo Rouge
These tips are great! Its hard to feel like actually dressing up in anything other than yoga pants but I know its so important to stay stylish. I was unaware of the baby friendly accessories after I had my son, but recommending them to my sister who is due in October.
Fashionista Momma says
You are so right Lorinda!! She will love the accessories. I didn’t know about them with my first but, it was so nice to be able to put something on with my second and not feel like she was chewing and grabbing metal. xo ~ Megan